Thursday, December 31, 2009

Memoirs from Bleak House - my favorite passage from the book.


“I will begin the world!” said Richard, with a light in his eyes.

My husband drew a little nearer towards Ada, and I saw him solemnly lift up his hand to warn my guardian.

“When shall I go from this place, to that pleasant country where the old times are, where I shall have strength to tell what Ada has been to me, where I shall be able to recall my many faults and blindnesses, where I shall prepare myself to be a guide to my unborn child?” said Richard. “When shall I go?”

“Dear Rick, when you are strong enough,” returned my guardian.

“Ada, my darling!”

He sought to raise himself a little. Allan raised him so that she could hold him on her bosom; which was what he wanted.

“I have done you many wrongs, my own. I have fallen like a poor stray shadow on your way, I have married you to poverty and trouble, I have scattered your means to the winds. You will forgive me all this, my Ada, before I begin the world?”

A smile irradiated his face, as she bent to kiss him. He slowly laid his face down upon her bosom, drew his arms closer round her neck, and with one parting sob began the world. Not this world, O not this! The world that sets this right.

When all was still, at a late hour, poor crazed Miss Flite came weeping to me, and told me she had given her birds their liberty.


3 comments:

Caroline said...

You really didn't have to post that Lillian. *sniff, blinks back tears* {OK, not really!}

Lillian said...

I know! (sob!)

Elinor Dashwood/Melanie said...

Ohhh!!! That part always makes me cry in the movie, but I think I was on the verge of sobbing when I read it in the book!! Waaaahhh!!!