Friday, February 19, 2010

Hope Deferred

"Boreas," John William Waterhouse

Today's verse is Proverbs 13:12, another personal favorite.

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick;
But desire fulfilled is a tree of life."


In Hebrew, the usage of the word hope (towcheleth) translates as expectation. When a strong expectation is deferred or put off for a long period of time, it will cause heartache. For young people such as myself, applying this verse to my life means not setting my heart on any specific person, place, or thing. Because of this verse, I know that it is extremely important for me to guard my heart, for the sinking feeling of not receiving something long hoped for will make the heart sick. But when my desire is fulfilled, that is a tree of life. So I must delight myself in the Lord and He will give me the desires of my heart.
~ Proverbs 37:4



1 comment:

She Will Move Mountains said...

So true.....and also one of my favorite verses. That verse got me through the waiting...the waiting on the right young man to come into my life when God had willed him to. I let go of every pinned and pining hope, and found my delight and hope in Christ...then my love came along!