Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Baking Day

I am a very experienced baker.

Meaning...that I have experienced every possible failure. However, sometimes my efforts succeed, and Monday was, well, not one of those days.

What I wanted - crusty bread to go with soup.

Recipe used - Crusty White Bread, Making Fresh Bread

1 egg
1egg yolk
3/4 - 1 cup lukewarm water
4 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 t salt
2 t sugar
1 t yeast
2 T butter, diced


Combining the flour salt, sugar and yeast.


Note to self -
Next time, let MA watch a movie while I'm in the kitchen.




OK, back to work. Adding the butter.


Adding the eggs and warm water.



Oh, dear. Too much flour, perhaps? I added some extra water and
was able to get it to a knead able consistency.


After several hours of rising, the dough is
ready to shape.


Hum, this reminds me of something...


Aha! That's it!
(though I know that's not how it happened)



After rising a second time, I baked the loaves at 425 degrees.

The finished product


The bread was not at all like I wanted it to be. It wasn't crusty at all, with a strange taste. I think it was the whole wheat flour because last time I used white with this recipe and it was delicious.

Oh well, I'll try again another day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regardless of how it may have tasted, it's lovely! And it looks like you had a great helper!

Mrs. Freeman

Anonymous said...

I personally like chewy bread with lots of extra butter.
Happy Reformation Day from the Presbyterians.
LU
G