Friday, March 5, 2010

Living well


James 4:13-15

"Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.' Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.'"


So often it feels like my life is all about planning, preparing, waiting, looking forward to - all future events.While this is not inherently bad, what James is saying in vs. 14 is that we are not guaranteed even our next breath. We should prepare, but with the knowledge of God's complete sovereignty. This reminds me of a quote I once heard:

"Learn as if you were going to live forever.
Live as if you were going to die tomorrow."
~unknown

Very well said! So focus on the important things ~ those of eternal value.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. Let me work harder than ever to listen to God's Word. Thanks.
LU

Rebecca Ann said...

Lilian I love your blog! I don't think I have commented before. I was just reading this verse yesterday, as the pastor at the church my family visited preached about making our plans what God's will is for our lives. I love that verse and its been so close to my heart lately with my family searching for a new church home. thanks for posting it !